Ange's Got Moxie

Are you a strong person who refuses to give up or give in? Are you a patient or caregiver? I've been and still am, both. This blog is all about my journey. I also love life in the country and love to laugh and try to see things with humor.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Ostomy Awareness


Hey y'all!  It's been a little while.  I over-extended in December (don't many of us) and have been fighting sickness since the week after Christmas.  During that time, I've thought of so many things I should be writing about.  Yesterday, this just starting flowing out.  Hope it touches some of you.




My ostomy saved my life.  Since I have no colon, I imagine I will have it for the rest of my life.  It has also drastically changed my life.  I have to think, now, about what and when I am going to eat.  If I am going out, will I be able to able to empty the bag?  Will I be in a situation where the stoma might make noise?  While my diet was in no way normal before, it is not now and will never be again.  For the rest of my life, I will have to be concerned about hydration.  I have to think about when and how much I eat before bed or I may be up all night or have leaks.  Thinking about clothing is completely different.  Not because of vanity or being concerned if the ostomy bag shows, although that is part of it but because you simply can’t have waistbands on your stoma.  Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t go back to how I was living before my ileostomy for anything in the world. 

It also breaks my heart to know that children have to learn to deal with all of these things.  I want them to be teens and sleep 10 or 12 hours without having to worry about emptying a bag.  I want them to eat all the popcorn, peanuts and candy they want at a movie or ballgame without worrying about a blockage or hunting the nearest restroom.  I don’t want them to have to carry a bag of supplies with them everywhere like a diaper bag.  I don’t want them to have to run to the teacher or nurse at school because they have had a leak nor have other kids laugh.

I want awareness and people to know that having a bag is not a “bad” thing.  That having an ostomy is nothing to be ashamed of or hidden.  I also want them to know the drawbacks and how it really affects us, especially children, so they will be more understanding in all those situations when we need them to be.  Those times when we need to use the handicapped bathroom.  The times when we really do need to pick a different restaurant so we can find something we can eat without having to choose the same old plain grilled chicken breast, no sides, once again.  So they will help me be discreet, if I am ever out in public and need to hurry to make a change because of a leak instead of looking on in horror.

I want better medications before ever reaching the point of needing the stoma.  Medications that don’t have awful side effects along with them like hair loss, severe fatigue, nausea, vomiting, mood swings, weight gain and loss and increased risk of cancer.

I want tests that do not rob you of any dignity you ever had and leave you feeling violated.  Tests that don’t cause you further pain and humiliation and leave you feeling sicker for days.

Most of all, I want a cure.

14 comments:

  1. Life simply change after the Stoma but all we need to do is to have patience and be careful. Thanks for writing about this topic as it is not a generally discussed topic. People facing such a problem can use
    Ostomy Lingerie as they are designed specially for this purpose. After wearing Lingerie you can easily wear any of the dresses of your own choice. Hope so that life after Stoma surgery doesn't change significantly as it seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ConvaTec is a global medical products and technologies company, We are providing Like...urostomy bag ,colostomy surgery ,ostomy bag ,ileostomy bag ,ostomy care,therapeutics, continence and critical care, and infusion devices etc...
    ostomy bag
    stoma care
    ileostomy bag
    urostomy bag
    ostomy care

    ReplyDelete
  3. stomy procedures come with a pouching system that is designed to collect and contain the bodily waste a person produces. These pouching systems have been modernized to efficiently collect bodily waste and store it in a way that is easily disposed of at a later date. In this way the ostomy procedure allows the body relief from the waste management processes that it normally undergoes.OstomyLifestyle.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative content on convatec ostomy supplies Thank you for the beautiful article!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr itua ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days  i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such as,Sickle Cell,Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease,.. please contact my savior drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WHATSAPP number +2348149277967..

    ReplyDelete